Sunday, October 9, 2011

WEEK 3 prompt number 2


Persepolis for me was a great and interesting book to read, it has a very captivating storyline, the protagonist blew me away, and the other characters also have a solid stance in the story . And I also do not have many classes to go to so I have a free schedule most of the time and plenty of time to read.  I would also like to point put that if other Writers also started to write graphic “ novels ”, like Marjane Satrapi does, It would make them very successful writers since you can tell exactly what the atmosphere and feelings are in every page of the book through the expressions on the characters faces. Many Novels do not have this kind of “feel” to them and it sometimes leaves you confused and it is very likely that you will over estimate or under estimate or even be totally clueless as to what the characters are feeling. Reading has never been difficult for me and that is one of the reasons why I love to read. And by reading Persepolis I have new found respect for graphic novels which I never took a second look at thinking it was junk reading. Persepolis was a pretty easy read for me , being a Graphic novel and all but I do think that reading is going to get harder as we get deeper into the semester . The scene I like most from Persepolis is the scene in pages fifty-eight to sixty, where Marjane Satrapi and her dear Uncle Anoosh are having a conversation about him being in prison and his wicked Russian girlfriend. It did a good job along with the other things about how sad Marjane’s uncle was. Another thing that happened to me while I was reading this book was that i started to smile when good things happened to Marjane Satrapi  and the serious and sad moments made me feel bad as well. And thinking about my thinking , One thing  I did very frequently while reading this book is that I Put myself in Marjane’s place whenever I was confused about what something felt like and it immediately gave a different perspective on this little girl. For example when Marjanes mother dyed her hair black and started to wear dark sunglasses in public, Marjane noticed this and was proud and happy for her mom , but in reality her mom was terrified and Marjane should have been scared for her mom . I deemed her stupid at that point. But then I put myself in her place and imagined what my feelings would be like if I was that age and my mother was in a magazine, Totally totally awesome. So yeah I had many of these “epiphanies” through out the book and I am totally going to read Persepolis II ,this was my Cognitive Reflection of Persepolis =0. Happy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment