Wednesday, September 14, 2011

My mother never.....

My mother never sent me to public school. Ever since she first came here from India, my mom had a passion for teaching but, because of many reasons she was not able to become a teacher. So after I finished K-grade, my parents started to look for a good school to put me in. So while looking for a good school to put me in, my mom found a homeschooling program called Wilson Home-schooling. My mom thought it was great and she had a lot of spare time.And so I began homeschooling. School for me was extremely flexible and easygoing, I learned a lot from all the one-on-one attention, and there was no Standard which I had to compare myself to.The program we were doing required us to go to a teacher once week at the Wilson Academy, what I mean by this is that my education was still pretty controlled. So after a year of private school which really didn't work out for me, We stopped doing the Wilson Home-schooling program and my mother designed her own curriculum for me from various online sources. With this completely independent program, It gave my family and me a lot of flexibility to go where ever we wanted , whenever we wanted. We went to everywhere from the busy streets of san franciso to the peaceful quietness of yosemite national park. Almost everyday we went out to a different place like a zoo or a park , or a museum, and it was all possible because of my mothers great idea of homeschooling us. There was probably no kid my age who had as much fun and amazing experiences as I had at the time I was homeschooling. Everyday was a new adventure. As for studying, If we went on a week long trip we would make a plan on what i had to study and when, but if we where at home, I studied at anytime during the day usually in short 1 hour intervals. Soon my brother and sister were old enough and they joined me in homeschooling. I continued homeschooling till I was 15 years old, when my Father found another great program that I could get into. The program was a middle college program that 8th graders could go through to finish high school faster. Basically, since one college credit equals 2 high school credits, Taking college classes helped the students finish high school faster and gave them a college level education experience if they could handle it. All you had to do was pass the evaluation test and the rest is self explanatory. And so I started my first year of college at San Jose City College in the Fall of 2011 and I aced the Evaluation thanks to the effectiveness of homeschooling. And of course Thanks to my mother.

1 comment:

  1. Before reading this post, I had never met anyone who had enjoyed being home-schooled. Most people complain that they missed out on various school events such as rallies, sports events, or prom. They also claim that they did not get the basic social skills due to lack of interaction. However, it seems like you had a positive experience and enjoyed the time. Personally, I cannot see myself being home-schooled because I would not be able to take things seriously or concentrate properly. My mother also has a passion for teaching and has been teaching all her life. Unfortunately, like your mother, she was unable to pursue her teaching career once she moved here.

    ReplyDelete